Post reply

Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Name:
Email:
Message icon:

Which french car manufacturer emblem features a lion?:
Which Italian car company has a prancing horse as its emblem?:
What company owns MINI?:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview

Topic Summary

Posted by: Sally
« on: April 09, 2020, 04:08:01 pm »

Just checking in and hoping everyone is staying safe and well.
Posted by: barky
« on: February 24, 2020, 08:12:37 pm »

These forummy things went quiet, still in contact with a c4 forumer or 4 - well I beleive they are as they go by real names now ... Currently driving a bright yellow Jazz I am
Posted by: Not As Map
« on: January 27, 2020, 02:12:47 pm »

If anyone is reading this - Prog Rocker (Matt) is trying to register again
Posted by: Not As Map
« on: January 14, 2020, 01:12:26 pm »

ha - cool, that's 3 orginal 4car posters still going stong (and 2 more i have seen or spoken to in the real world)
Posted by: Milky
« on: January 13, 2020, 10:28:27 pm »

still here O0
Posted by: Not As Map
« on: January 06, 2020, 06:26:06 pm »

Seems to be - zero activity in months though

How's tricks?
Posted by: barky
« on: January 04, 2020, 04:46:17 pm »

Just found a scribbled down password & this place is still live!
Posted by: Dan
« on: March 14, 2019, 10:11:41 pm »

Hello
Posted by: Dan
« on: August 16, 2016, 09:52:43 pm »

I applied for a council house last year and also applied through Grampian Housing Association. At the time I was living with a friend and because of this I wasn't classed as homeless as I had a roof over my head.

Young, single male earning mid-20k, pretty much got told to run and jump. So here I am paying 600 quid a month for a 1 bedroom flat on private market. My brother gets a 3 bedroom in Sunderland for 500.

I work with a girl who, because her "home" (parental home) was more than 30 miles from work (Alford to Aberdeen, about 31 miles on A roads) she got top priority, and has a nice home with brand new kitchen etc, it's 65 a week...
Posted by: MrW
« on: August 16, 2016, 08:53:22 am »

Just for reference my mortgage takes up 45% of my take home pay.

Why did you sell up and step off the ladder.
Posted by: Craig
« on: August 13, 2016, 04:59:10 pm »

Assured tenancies for life just lead to laziness and fecklessness. If you would turn it down if it wasn't an assured tenancy you seriously need to ask yourself why you want a council property. If you are in a position to turn it down you are not in a position of need and shouldn't even be on the list. What's wrong with having a mortgage and being a "debt slave" like a great deal of the grown up adults in society? What are you going to do when you are old? Rely on the state to make sure you are ok?
Posted by: Proggers
« on: August 13, 2016, 10:33:43 am »

Interesting posts, MrW & Craig. Probably a debate for the 'It's serious business' subforum!

There was talk of council tenancies offered henceforth being of a 3 - 5 year term. To be honest, if the council still wants to offer me the flat and it was on the condition of a limited tenancy then I doubt I will accept it.

I don't earn a huge salary. Private rent takes up around 45% of my net income. The current system of private renting in Britian is shit. Germany's system is much more affordable and secure. Mind, I cannot see Great Britain taking a more continental approach to private renting with a significant percentage of MP's owning rental portfolios, I cannot see this changing any time sooner. Perhaps it will when more Generation Ys and Millenials enter Parliament,

Ultimately I would like to buy my own place again one day (a modest semi in the nearby suburb) but I won't do it if it means being a debt slave, prostituting myself to the banks for another 20 years. Fuck that.
Posted by: Craig
« on: August 12, 2016, 12:11:48 pm »

There is no way you would get anywhere near a council flat if you were in London Matt. Why do you want one for anyway? you have owned your own property and you have a steady job and an income. Just because you meet the criteria wouldn't be enough for me to actually go for it. I would feel like I was potentially depriving someone who really needed it of somewhere to live. There is a lot of selfishness around public housing in this country with the likes of older people staying in their family sized homes when they are empty nesters "because its their right" while there are families living in B&B accommodation. I think one of the best things they could do for public housing in this country is abolish the assured tenancies and have them all on a 3 year contract which gets reviewed at the end and you move to a property that is more fitting for your needs or out if you dont meet the criteria anymore. People in private rentals get treated a lot worse than council tenants and they are often paying vast amounts more and its not right morally.
Posted by: MrW
« on: August 12, 2016, 11:50:36 am »

I don't wish to sound disrespectful here Matt, but how the hell do you qualify for that?

Any British Citizen can apply irrespective of income, although rules do vary depending on the council. Council flats aren't always given out to doleys, asylum seekers and druggies you know!

In my case, it is still too early to say. I have verbally accepted one but I'll believe it when or if I formally receive offer of a tenancy by letter.

You just hear the councils accommodation waiting lists are huge and given to those in need first, so whilst I don't dispute your entitlement, i just thought that a working single chap would not be a high prority. this is where you tell me you've been waiting 10 years..... :lol:

Posted by: Proggers
« on: August 11, 2016, 07:31:24 pm »