Author Topic: Tottenham Riots  (Read 6286 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Milky

    Honda Civic 1.6i VTEC      Peugeot 307
Tottenham Riots
« on: August 07, 2011, 10:41:20 am »
just watching the footage on BBC News!  :o

3 police Astras, a Riot Van and a Double Decker Bus all burnt out, not to mention a few buildings! look at the pics here - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023254/Tottenham-riots-Double-decker-bus-set-ablaze-mob-violence-hits-London.html   :o

panther

  • Administrator
Re: Tottenham Riots
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 11:53:04 am »
Pretty despicable, I hope they use the full force of the law on the idiots responsible.. Given the amount of "intel" police gather at protests these days, plus the number of CCTV cameras, you'd hope there will be plenty of arrests and convictions after this.

I mean burning a few Astras is understandable.. who hasn't looked at an Astra and thought that it might look better on fire. But destroying an Aldi. That's just sick. Where are the people of Tottenham supposed to get their cheap German confectionery?

Not As Map

    Giulia Veloce
Re: Tottenham Riots
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 12:19:17 pm »

I mean burning a few Astras is understandable.. who hasn't looked at an Astra and thought that it might look better on fire. But destroying an Aldi. That's just sick. Where are the people of Tottenham supposed to get their cheap German confectionery?

I heard that after nearly 12 hrs of rioting, they'd been esitmated to have been almost 20's worth of damage !!

Seriously though - not very impressed at some of the coverage on social media. There seemed to be quite a lot of Asian, white, Christian, Muslim and no doubt Jewish rioters as well as some mindless thugs who were black.

Good job white people aren't judged by the EDL and the BNP.

 "7k revs at the end of the rack, in a MkI - the only way to travel"
"If everything seems under control - you're not going fast enough"

Craig

    1975 Jaguar XJ12C 6.0
Re: Tottenham Riots
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 12:53:23 pm »
Unmoderated social media really inflame these situations and lead to them being far worse with general thugs and people who think rioting is fun turning up just to join in

Queebs

    1980 Carlton Competition
Re: Tottenham Riots
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 04:23:22 pm »
Transcript of a live interview on Sky News today with Stafford Scott, a community activist who lives in Tottenham.

Martin Brunt: "Stafford Scott, you're a leading member the community. You were here last night and watched things develop. What's your view of why and how it happened?"

Stafford Scott: "The reason I believe that it happened is that police paid disregard to the feelings of the family of the young man that was killed on Thursday evening. Up until now they haven't come and helped them or advised them. They haven't met with any family liaison officers at all. We were absolutely disgusted by that, so we decided that we needed come to Tottenham police station, because they may not be aware that a murder has been committed.
"We know that if they were aware that a murder has been committed, then their process, their legislation, their guideline, says they have to set up and send out a family liaison officer. And because they didn't, we came to the station. We came to the station to have a peaceful demonstration, and it was largely peaceful. And what we explained to the police is that we wanted someone senior from the police service to come and explain to us what was happening.
"They kept on prevaricating. The most senior person they gave us was a chief inspector. We said that person wasn't senior enough - we wanted a senior ranking officer of superintendent or above. Eventually they sent for a superintendent, but by then it was too late. We'd told them: don't prevaricate, we wanted to hear what was happening so we could explain to the community what was taking place."

Martin Brunt: "You said 'by then it was too late'. But are you suggesting that's why the violence erupted as it did?"

Stafford Scott: "I'm telling you that had they dealt with us earlier in the day, we would have removed ourselves from this area, we would have gone back to Broadwater Farm. I specifically told a chief inspector that we didn't want to be out here when nightfall came, we wanted to take it back to the Farm. And I warned him that if he kept on prevaricating and forced us to stay till nighttime - because we were intent on staying until a senior officer came - then it would have to be on the police's head what happened."
Martin Brunt: "You're almost suggesting that no lessons have been learned since 1985, although a lot people today tell us here that this isn't the same as 1985. What's your view?"

Stafford Scott: "Those people who tell you it's not the same as 1985 were not here in 1985. This is absolutely the same as 1985. 1985 was sparked by the death of a black woman and the police trying to cover up that death. The police were trying to suggest that she died because of her weight.
"Today they're trying to cover up Mark's killing as well. We do not believe that Mark was bad enough or mad enough to come out of a car and want to shoot at armed police officers. Our evidence, our information, is telling us that the gun that was found there was actually found in a sock, meaning that it wasn't prepared for action. So we can't believe that anyone would think they were going to shoot at somebody through a sock - it's absolute craziness."

Martin Brunt: "Those are the kind of answers you're asking for. Do you not accept though that sometimes it's difficult to be precise within 48 hours about exactly what happened?"

Stafford Scott: "Let me be absolutely clear. This is the borough where we have seen the deaths of Mrs Cynthia Jarrett, Joy Gardner and Roger Sylvester. Roger Sylvester's inquest took about four years to be held. So we know that nothing happens quickly.
"But, by God, don't our parents deserve the same as any parent? It doesn't matter people want to say Mark was, when you talk about the army on TV, or a death that's happened in Afghanistan, it always says that you're not going to name the person until their parents have been informed. In this case here, their parents are reading about everything in the newspaper, they're seeing it all on the media. Nobody from officialdom has gone to them and said to them, 'Your child was killed on Ferry Lane.' Nobody has done that."

Martin Brunt: "If that damage has been done, how do you repair that damage now? Because the great fear is that there will be violent scenes again tonight. What can be done in the next few hours?"

Stafford Scott: "I do not believe that there's going to be any violent scenes here tonight. What happened yesterday was a combustion, a spontaneous outburst, because people saw we've been here for four hours. Women were leading the demonstration. The women said, 'Look, four hours - our kids are now tired, we're going home.'
"When the guys saw the women leaving, that's when they said, 'Wow. We've been here for four hours and nothing's happened. Nothing's changed. They haven't come to speak to us.' And then when they saw some police cars, which for some reason were just parked up unmanned, that was like a red rag to a bull, and they just had a go.
"I think that (a) if the police had been more responsive to us as a community, we would have gone and it wouldn't have happened, and (b) if the police had been more responsive at the first onset of violence, it may not have happened.
"But people need to realise a lot of things have been said. It's not the same as 1985? In this community, for these kids, everything is the same as 1985. If you look at all the stats, they're all the same as 1985.
"How often they get stopped and searched has actually gone up. Unemployment against young people has actually gone up since 1985. Getting kicked out of school is the same or similarly high to 1985. Nothing has improved for the livelihoods of young black people who happen to find themselves growing up on estates like Broadwater Farm."
Burn everything you cannot steal.

panther

  • Administrator
Re: Tottenham Riots
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 05:08:02 pm »
:/

Stafford Scott: "The reason I believe that it happened is that police paid disregard to the feelings of the family of the young man that was killed on Thursday evening. Up until now they haven't come and helped them or advised them. They haven't met with any family liaison officers at all. We were absolutely disgusted by that, so we decided that we needed come to Tottenham police station, because they may not be aware that a murder has been committed.
"We know that if they were aware that a murder has been committed, then their process, their legislation, their guideline, says they have to set up and send out a family liaison officer. And because they didn't, we came to the station.
Isn't it up to the Police to determine if a murder has been committed?

Stafford Scott: "I'm telling you that had they dealt with us earlier in the day, we would have removed ourselves from this area, we would have gone back to Broadwater Farm. I specifically told a chief inspector that we didn't want to be out here when nightfall came, we wanted to take it back to the Farm. And I warned him that if he kept on prevaricating and forced us to stay till nighttime - because we were intent on staying until a senior officer came - then it would have to be on the police's head what happened."
Ugh, nice way to avoid taking responsibility for ones actions. But such thinly veiled threats deserve to be ignored.

Sounds like he's admitted he was part of a mob wanting mob justice.

Stafford Scott: "Those people who tell you it's not the same as 1985 were not here in 1985. This is absolutely the same as 1985. 1985 was sparked by the death of a black woman and the police trying to cover up that death. The police were trying to suggest that she died because of her weight.
"Today they're trying to cover up Mark's killing as well. We do not believe that Mark was bad enough or mad enough to come out of a car and want to shoot at armed police officers. Our evidence, our information, is telling us that the gun that was found there was actually found in a sock, meaning that it wasn't prepared for action. So we can't believe that anyone would think they were going to shoot at somebody through a sock - it's absolute craziness."
So within days on an incident he's decided what happened and is demanding justice.. Why is it hard to believe that someone might fire a gun through a sock? Afaik killing people with a concealed weapon isn't exactly unheard of.

Sorry but I find what this guy is saying appalling. There's just no excuse. It's people shitting on their own doorstep. Trashing the neighbourhood to get back at the police who've yet to be proved to have done anything especially wrong, like it makes the blindest bit of difference to them anyway?

I wonder whose lying in this case?

Says that the man seems to have fired the shot which lodged in a police radio (suggesting he could easily have killed the officer) and got shot as a result. Also says his family had been informed. Not heard anything from the family to suggest otherwise.. In fact the brother is calling for this not to bad made about Mr. Duggan..

Jamesmc

    Fiesta ST
Re: Tottenham Riots
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:35:00 pm »
 :o

Since when was Britain part of the third world...

Milky

    Honda Civic 1.6i VTEC      Peugeot 307
Re: Tottenham Riots
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 12:30:09 am »
that furniture shop fire spread really quick!  :o

The Met will be short of vehicles soon!

Dan

    16 Polo GTI 3dr Manual
Re: Tottenham Riots
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 01:24:50 am »
This has really escelated tonight in to a fucking disaster for all involved. My heart goes to the fire crews who are being put in extremely dangerous situations that no one should ever be put in.

They're chavs, they have no idea why they are doing this, they are doing it because they can. I'd honestly be happy if the army just brought in marksmen with some Baret 50 cals... :lol:
Jeremy Clarkson "Every day we read obituaries about men who pressed on with the attack on a German machinegun nest even though their arms and legs had been blown off. Today disabled people get a statue in Trafalgar Square just because they got pregnant."

DJA

Tottenham Riots
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 01:31:49 am »
Where is queebs? :lol:
Goodbye, it was once fun.

Dan

    16 Polo GTI 3dr Manual
Re: Tottenham Riots
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 01:46:56 am »
Where is queebs? :lol:

Honestly if any one i know was even slightly involved in this I would be so angry with them. This is really awful. There's talk of things being organised in Glasgow now too. Wtf.
Jeremy Clarkson "Every day we read obituaries about men who pressed on with the attack on a German machinegun nest even though their arms and legs had been blown off. Today disabled people get a statue in Trafalgar Square just because they got pregnant."

Dan

    16 Polo GTI 3dr Manual
Re: Tottenham Riots
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 02:07:52 am »
Disturbances in Bristol
Jeremy Clarkson "Every day we read obituaries about men who pressed on with the attack on a German machinegun nest even though their arms and legs had been blown off. Today disabled people get a statue in Trafalgar Square just because they got pregnant."

Jamesmc

    Fiesta ST
Re: Tottenham Riots
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 07:22:19 am »
My mums car was in parked in Birmingham last night while she went to London, luckily all is ok.

This isn't an uprising or a protest against the government, this is just destruction for no real reason.

DJA

Re: Tottenham Riots
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 08:34:34 am »
Aye, send in the army with plastic bullets.. if they were good enough to be used in Ireland then they're good enough for this mob.
Goodbye, it was once fun.

panther

  • Administrator
Re: Tottenham Riots
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 08:47:15 am »
Last night was probably not the best night to go out and get pissed with mates for the first time in ages..

Never walked home so fast whilst drunk in my life..

I can confirm that Isleworth did not appear to be on fire. However it seems the local ASDA had a fire out front..

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Which french car manufacturer emblem features a lion?:
Which Italian car company has a prancing horse as its emblem?:
What company owns MINI?: