Author Topic: Pointless  (Read 418435 times)

DJA

• Founder Member
Re: Pointless
« Reply #4305 on: March 31, 2012, 08:03:41 pm »
Wow.  A guy I know came up trumps on the Euro lottery last night... apparently he matched 5 numbers and 1 lucky star netting about 227000!  *high-five*
Goodbye, it was once fun.

Dan

• Founder Member
  • Currently Driving:
    16 Polo GTI 3dr Manual
« Reply #4306 on: April 01, 2012, 10:36:08 am »
I have ordered an Epson V range scanner, brother is collecting it from the Currys he works in today and bringing it up from Sunderland.

Aim is to get all the old negatives from my late great grandma's house and digitise the lot so I can email them all out to family members. I'll be making some nice books and calendars etc using iPhoto and Aperture. Quite a nice thing to be doing, I am excited!
Jeremy Clarkson "Every day we read obituaries about men who pressed on with the attack on a German machinegun nest even though their arms and legs had been blown off. Today disabled people get a statue in Trafalgar Square just because they got pregnant."

Sally

• Founder Member
  • Currently Driving:
    Focus
« Reply #4307 on: April 01, 2012, 10:38:52 am »
Sounds a lovely thing to do Dan.
If God had meant me to touch my toes, he'd have put chocolates on the floor.

Dan

• Founder Member
  • Currently Driving:
    16 Polo GTI 3dr Manual
« Reply #4308 on: April 01, 2012, 10:44:15 am »
They can pay for the fookin' books :lol:

I'll make some web albums but I think a lot of them will just appreciate being able to print them out themselves at home instead of having boxes full of 35mm film.
Jeremy Clarkson "Every day we read obituaries about men who pressed on with the attack on a German machinegun nest even though their arms and legs had been blown off. Today disabled people get a statue in Trafalgar Square just because they got pregnant."

Jamesmc

• Founder Member
  • Currently Driving:
    Fiesta ST
« Reply #4309 on: April 01, 2012, 12:11:43 pm »
Dan, do you mind me asking how much that scanner is?
 My mum has loads of old negatives she'd like on the computer.

panther

• Administrator
« Reply #4310 on: April 01, 2012, 12:43:31 pm »
You can scan negatives in pretty cheaply, many scanners are able to do it, even all in ones. The faff comes in handling the enormous files that can result (don't go into overkill with resolution settings) and image correction.

Dan

• Founder Member
  • Currently Driving:
    16 Polo GTI 3dr Manual
« Reply #4311 on: April 01, 2012, 02:17:46 pm »
I've looked in to this for ages now and there are a number of things to look out for.

The cheap things like this..

...are horrendous. They are effectively a shitty sensor that takes a photo of the negative. They have awful optics and a max DPI of around 1800.

I've gone for a traditional flatbed scanner that can also do negatives, this requires the scanner to illuminate the negative whilst it scans. The Epson I have gone for has an optical DPI of 4800.

I've also in the past used my dSLR and a macro lens to take a photo of negatives, set up with a tripod using a lightbox behind to illuminate the slide, but this is a bit dodgy and the slides never come out perfect.

The Epson scanner I bought is 90 which is as cheap as you'll get really for something of decent quality. The higher end Canoscan or Nikons, or even the high end V range Epsons can get in to hundreds and hundreds, a V750 for example is probably about 700.

It all comes down to the standard of the film too. If it's a mess and covered in scratches you'll struggle.

panther

• Administrator
« Reply #4312 on: April 01, 2012, 03:00:31 pm »
Hmm worth considering what is being done. Most likely you're scanning old film of questionable quality from fairly cheap only cameras..

People get hung up on "quality" at the expense of what you're actually doing.. We go to the cinema and watch really shit condition 35mm film stock blown up to an enormous size and no one gives a damn, you're there to apreciate the whats on the film not the quality of the playback equipment and film stock. It's like those who go on and on about good quality lenses for digital cameras, they spend thousands on them.. Meanwhile they wear disposable contact lenses to actually see the world through themselves...

http://www.scantips.com/ - Excellent for understanding the myriad of terms and what to aim for.

I'd avoid a dedicated film scanner unless you have a huge job to do/are likely to do more. A flatbed or high quality all in one is a device that can be used after you've done your film scanning. Don't pay more than 100 for a flatbed.. Like printers they're irritating bulky devices that can break or go wrong for no obvious reason practically regardless of how much you spend at the consumer end of the scale..

Sally

• Founder Member
  • Currently Driving:
    Focus
« Reply #4313 on: April 01, 2012, 05:27:07 pm »
Inquest of my son's friend was held this week. The police officer who came to talk to him on behalf of the coroner promised he'd let him now when it was so he could attend. We found out about it having taken place in the local paper.
Why can't people do what they promise?
If God had meant me to touch my toes, he'd have put chocolates on the floor.

panther

• Administrator
« Reply #4314 on: April 01, 2012, 05:49:22 pm »
:( That's shit.

Dan

• Founder Member
  • Currently Driving:
    16 Polo GTI 3dr Manual
« Reply #4315 on: April 01, 2012, 10:40:41 pm »
4800dpi is ridiculous.

Kept to 2000dpi even then some of the resolution is 14,000 on the longest edge...mental.

Queebs

• Founder Member
  • Currently Driving:
    1980 Carlton Competition
« Reply #4316 on: April 02, 2012, 10:53:20 pm »
Google Maps

8 bit google maps = best thing on the internet in err like forever.
Burn everything you cannot steal.

panther

• Administrator
« Reply #4317 on: April 02, 2012, 11:23:04 pm »
The 8-bit streetview is what makes me happy.

Dan

• Founder Member
  • Currently Driving:
    16 Polo GTI 3dr Manual
« Reply #4318 on: April 03, 2012, 01:25:07 am »
Decided to sort myself out with a website and a domain name. I am going to install Wordpress on my brother's cpanel through his own server that he pays for. I will pay half the server costs if it works out.

At the moment I have just set up a redirect to my 500px.

www.danielrobertson.me

:)

Dan

• Founder Member
  • Currently Driving:
    16 Polo GTI 3dr Manual
« Reply #4319 on: April 03, 2012, 02:13:38 am »
Update.

Danielrobertson.me is live :D

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Which french car manufacturer emblem features a lion?:
Which Italian car company has a prancing horse as its emblem?:
What company owns MINI?: