Author Topic: Pointless  (Read 409670 times)

0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dan

    16 Polo GTI 3dr Manual
Re: Pointless
« Reply #4275 on: March 30, 2012, 09:53:54 pm »
Some one said on Facebook today...

Only in Aberdeen would people be so cheap as to queue instead of going to BP because it costs 1p more

:lol:
Jeremy Clarkson "Every day we read obituaries about men who pressed on with the attack on a German machinegun nest even though their arms and legs had been blown off. Today disabled people get a statue in Trafalgar Square just because they got pregnant."

Sally

    Focus
Re: Pointless
« Reply #4276 on: March 31, 2012, 11:56:19 am »
Had a good night and a great breakfast. Now driving home. Came through Cirencester and Bibury. Really lovely countryside and pretty villages.
Can recommend the Dog Inn at Old Sodbury as a place to stay if you're down that way.
If God had meant me to touch my toes, he'd have put chocolates on the floor.

DJA

Re: Pointless
« Reply #4277 on: March 31, 2012, 08:03:41 pm »
Wow.  A guy I know came up trumps on the Euro lottery last night... apparently he matched 5 numbers and 1 lucky star netting about 227000!  *high-five*
Goodbye, it was once fun.

Dan

    16 Polo GTI 3dr Manual
Re: Pointless
« Reply #4278 on: April 01, 2012, 10:36:08 am »
I have ordered an Epson V range scanner, brother is collecting it from the Currys he works in today and bringing it up from Sunderland.

Aim is to get all the old negatives from my late great grandma's house and digitise the lot so I can email them all out to family members. I'll be making some nice books and calendars etc using iPhoto and Aperture. Quite a nice thing to be doing, I am excited!
Jeremy Clarkson "Every day we read obituaries about men who pressed on with the attack on a German machinegun nest even though their arms and legs had been blown off. Today disabled people get a statue in Trafalgar Square just because they got pregnant."

Sally

    Focus
Re: Pointless
« Reply #4279 on: April 01, 2012, 10:38:52 am »
Sounds a lovely thing to do Dan.
If God had meant me to touch my toes, he'd have put chocolates on the floor.

Dan

    16 Polo GTI 3dr Manual
Re: Pointless
« Reply #4280 on: April 01, 2012, 10:44:15 am »
They can pay for the fookin' books :lol:

I'll make some web albums but I think a lot of them will just appreciate being able to print them out themselves at home instead of having boxes full of 35mm film.
Jeremy Clarkson "Every day we read obituaries about men who pressed on with the attack on a German machinegun nest even though their arms and legs had been blown off. Today disabled people get a statue in Trafalgar Square just because they got pregnant."

Jamesmc

    Fiesta ST
Re: Pointless
« Reply #4281 on: April 01, 2012, 12:11:43 pm »
Dan, do you mind me asking how much that scanner is?
 My mum has loads of old negatives she'd like on the computer.

panther

  • Administrator
Re: Pointless
« Reply #4282 on: April 01, 2012, 12:43:31 pm »
You can scan negatives in pretty cheaply, many scanners are able to do it, even all in ones. The faff comes in handling the enormous files that can result (don't go into overkill with resolution settings) and image correction.

Dan

    16 Polo GTI 3dr Manual
Re: Pointless
« Reply #4283 on: April 01, 2012, 02:17:46 pm »
I've looked in to this for ages now and there are a number of things to look out for.

The cheap things like this..

...are horrendous. They are effectively a shitty sensor that takes a photo of the negative. They have awful optics and a max DPI of around 1800.

I've gone for a traditional flatbed scanner that can also do negatives, this requires the scanner to illuminate the negative whilst it scans. The Epson I have gone for has an optical DPI of 4800.

I've also in the past used my dSLR and a macro lens to take a photo of negatives, set up with a tripod using a lightbox behind to illuminate the slide, but this is a bit dodgy and the slides never come out perfect.

The Epson scanner I bought is 90 which is as cheap as you'll get really for something of decent quality. The higher end Canoscan or Nikons, or even the high end V range Epsons can get in to hundreds and hundreds, a V750 for example is probably about 700.

It all comes down to the standard of the film too. If it's a mess and covered in scratches you'll struggle.
Jeremy Clarkson "Every day we read obituaries about men who pressed on with the attack on a German machinegun nest even though their arms and legs had been blown off. Today disabled people get a statue in Trafalgar Square just because they got pregnant."

panther

  • Administrator
Re: Pointless
« Reply #4284 on: April 01, 2012, 03:00:31 pm »
Hmm worth considering what is being done. Most likely you're scanning old film of questionable quality from fairly cheap only cameras..

People get hung up on "quality" at the expense of what you're actually doing.. We go to the cinema and watch really shit condition 35mm film stock blown up to an enormous size and no one gives a damn, you're there to apreciate the whats on the film not the quality of the playback equipment and film stock. It's like those who go on and on about good quality lenses for digital cameras, they spend thousands on them.. Meanwhile they wear disposable contact lenses to actually see the world through themselves...

http://www.scantips.com/ - Excellent for understanding the myriad of terms and what to aim for.

I'd avoid a dedicated film scanner unless you have a huge job to do/are likely to do more. A flatbed or high quality all in one is a device that can be used after you've done your film scanning. Don't pay more than 100 for a flatbed.. Like printers they're irritating bulky devices that can break or go wrong for no obvious reason practically regardless of how much you spend at the consumer end of the scale..

Sally

    Focus
Re: Pointless
« Reply #4285 on: April 01, 2012, 05:27:07 pm »
Inquest of my son's friend was held this week. The police officer who came to talk to him on behalf of the coroner promised he'd let him now when it was so he could attend. We found out about it having taken place in the local paper.
Why can't people do what they promise?
If God had meant me to touch my toes, he'd have put chocolates on the floor.

panther

  • Administrator
Re: Pointless
« Reply #4286 on: April 01, 2012, 05:49:22 pm »
:( That's shit.

Dan

    16 Polo GTI 3dr Manual
Re: Pointless
« Reply #4287 on: April 01, 2012, 10:40:41 pm »
4800dpi is ridiculous.

Kept to 2000dpi even then some of the resolution is 14,000 on the longest edge...mental.
Jeremy Clarkson "Every day we read obituaries about men who pressed on with the attack on a German machinegun nest even though their arms and legs had been blown off. Today disabled people get a statue in Trafalgar Square just because they got pregnant."

Queebs

    1980 Carlton Competition
Re: Pointless
« Reply #4288 on: April 02, 2012, 10:53:20 pm »
Google Maps

8 bit google maps = best thing on the internet in err like forever.
Burn everything you cannot steal.

panther

  • Administrator
Re: Pointless
« Reply #4289 on: April 02, 2012, 11:23:04 pm »
The 8-bit streetview is what makes me happy.

Which french car manufacturer emblem features a lion?:
Which Italian car company has a prancing horse as its emblem?:
What company owns MINI?: