Author Topic: What bike?  (Read 9371 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jamesmc

    Fiesta ST
What bike?
« on: March 18, 2011, 10:39:08 am »
I want a new mountain bike as mine has pretty much had it now.

Budget is 300-400 but may go to 500 for the right bike.

I want front suspension (not rear), dual discs and must have either EZ fire or Rapid fire shifters and no less than 24 gears

I was looking at these

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.GT-Avalanche-3-0-Disc-Hydro-Mountain-Bike-2010-Hardtail-MTB_27895.htm

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Mongoose-Switchback-Comp-Disc-Mountain-Bike-2011-Hardtail-MTB_39542.htm

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Saracen-Mantra-Mountain-Bike-2010-Hardtail-MTB_29631.htm

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Trail-SL-5-Mountain-Bike-2011-Hardtail-MTB_39648.htm.

Spudulike

    Alfa Romeo Brera \ Toyota MR2 Roadster
Re: What bike?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 08:08:31 pm »
Depends on your riding. If you're hitting the occasional ploughed field then any of those are good.

But if you're doing Cannock Chase every weekend...

Only the avalanche from your selection there. The kit's not great for the money though.
The Mongoose looks like an utter dog with nothing to redeem its sorry form.
The Saracen looks ok for the money but those disc brakes aren't going to do anything V-brakes can't. Dunno how good the frame will be as Saracen don't tend to do high performance frames.
The Cannondale looks ok again but I don't rate Cannondales much.

You could save a healthy wedge by forgetting disc brakes at your price point. Unless you can get hydraulic discs they're not worth carrying the extra weight and the hydraulic Tektros on the Avalanche aren't that great anyway.
Get V-brakes. They weigh nothing, stop you perfectly well unless you're planning on doing some massive downhilling and cost nothing to look after.
Your chainset, shifter and derrailleur should be a decent brand so you want Shimano Alivio/Acera at this price point.

Take a look at cube bikes. For your money they give a lot more bang for your buck and they look bloody amazing:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=57177

I'm a spesh fan myself. You cannot go wrong with a Spesh. I rode one of these up Cannock Chase and apart from the stiff fork it was a proper bike for very little money:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/hardrock-2011-mountain-bike-ec024187
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Hardrock-Disc-Mountain-Bike-2011-Hardtail-MTB_38373.htm
It's a bestseller for a reason.

Jamesmc

    Fiesta ST
Re: What bike?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 11:15:16 pm »
Knew you'd come up trumps Spud, TBH the only attraction the the Mongoose and Saracen was price.

I've always liked GT's and Cannondales, although the latter are expensive. The specilized does look good and as you say, it's a best seller for a reason. Also the Police use them round here.

I do intend to go over Cannack Chase more, also Sutton Park. My reasoning behind wanting discs is I sometimes go through deep mud and water and I don't like losing braking.

Spudulike

    Alfa Romeo Brera \ Toyota MR2 Roadster
Re: What bike?
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 09:21:56 am »
In that case go for the hardrock sport disc. That way you've got a frame and forks that are ready for an upgrade to hydraulics .
First thing i'd want to upgrade is the forks. Depending on your budget you could upgrade when you buy the bike- go for some marzocchi bombers if you can. They transform the bike.

Queebs

    1980 Carlton Competition
Re: What bike?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 11:29:15 am »
As much as I hate Halfrauds they do some really tasty bikes at excellent prices.

The Carrera Kraken is nearing the top of your price range but you get so much for the money and the frame is super tough too.  Had one myself until it got stolen and I really rate them for blasting round Cannock Chase
.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_518223_langId_-1_categoryId_165499#dtab
Burn everything you cannot steal.

biggbn

  • Guest
Re: What bike?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:26:52 pm »
also looking to buy a bike this week....needs to be more road biased but with a wee bit comfort and the ability to go along trails and tracks but nothing extreme....prob about same budget as above, prob from halfords as buy now pay never, any suggestions..

Spudulike

    Alfa Romeo Brera \ Toyota MR2 Roadster
Re: What bike?
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 08:46:08 pm »
^Same advice really but you can save some dosh by buying something with V-brakes then swap the knobbly tyres for the skinniest road tyres you can fit on the rims pumped up to silly psi. You'll fly along then  ;)

Jamesmc

    Fiesta ST
Re: What bike?
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 06:56:55 am »
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_821661_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

After many months I have finally got round to actually buying a bike  :lol: so with my Christmas money I bought this

Queebs

    1980 Carlton Competition
Re: What bike?
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 11:48:38 am »
Not bad for the price...what kind of weight is it?  Seems that entry level FS bikes can sometimes be rather heavy.
Burn everything you cannot steal.

Craig

    1975 Jaguar XJ12C 6.0
Re: What bike?
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 02:37:53 pm »

Queebs

    1980 Carlton Competition
Re: What bike?
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 07:30:11 pm »
Brilliant, another overpriced (5K!), pointless carbon fibre hybrid.  Someone explain to me why carbon fibre is even necessary on a hybrid...it's not like riders are going to notice the extra lateral stiffness, in fact it'd be detrimental to the ride quality.  Odds on my old fixie costing less than a twentieth of the price giving it a good run for it's money.
Burn everything you cannot steal.

Jamesmc

    Fiesta ST
Re: What bike?
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 07:47:57 pm »
Not bad for the price...what kind of weight is it?  Seems that entry level FS bikes can sometimes be rather heavy.

That's one of the reasons I didn't really want FS in the first place but this one doesn't seem especially heavy, in fact it's lighter than the hardtail I looked at in decathlon for the same price. I've yet to ride it so time will tell, It was a good deal so I bought it.

panther

  • Administrator
Re: What bike?
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 08:18:23 pm »
My FS bike weighs a ton. But that's OK because it has me on it. I'd buy a hard tail bike next time. Looks like you nicked one of Craigs wheels. :ph43r:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Which french car manufacturer emblem features a lion?:
Which Italian car company has a prancing horse as its emblem?:
What company owns MINI?: