Author Topic: The rise of UKIP...  (Read 10133 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Proggers

    Nissan Almera of Doom
The rise of UKIP...
« on: May 27, 2014, 07:13:23 pm »
There's an outside chance that UKIP might win their first Parliamentary seat by the end of next week at the Newark by-election.

Any views on Nigel Farage and the UK Independence Party?
Up the Proles!

Jamesmc

    Fiesta ST
Re: The rise of UKIP...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 07:17:23 pm »
None which I care to repeat....

Not As Map

    Giulia Veloce
Re: The rise of UKIP...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 08:01:56 pm »
A bunch of far right, ex-BNP/EDL folk who are trying desperately to look slightly less racist/sexist/homophobic - don't really have any real agenda other than immigration.

Unfortunately - it seems a majority of people are so pissed off with main stream politicians, that the immigration card is enough for them to vote

They seem to have pulled off a bit of a PR coup, getting a posh toff, with a French surname, married to a German, who makes his living in Brussels and has a guy called Patrick O'Flynn as Director of Communications, voted for. If someone wrote that in a comedy program you'd laugh it off as ridiculous.

It seems about 15-20% of Brits just don't like "bloody foreigners" - but are quite happy to go to Spain on holiday to sit and eat Fish and Chips and drink John Smiths all day, have our health service propped up by immigrant workers, eat curry, kebab's, Chinese, Thai, Pizza, drive German and Japanese cars, have Irish, Scottish, Dutch, Danish, French surnames and ancestry and then moan about white, Christian, Europeans "coming over hear and taking our jobs", which are often low paid jobs Brits won't do these days (go to any hotel in the UK, look in any field at who is picking the veg, see who is driving your taxi)

Most of their statements start with "I'm not a racist, but................" - which I have worked out almost always means, I'm a narrow minded bigot.

The other real issue is - more people will vote for a baking/dancing/singing competition on Saturday night than vote for who runs our country. Drives me bloody nuts

Anyway - lets hope that he does stand, gets slaughtered and vanishes down the same hole as Nick Griffin and when the main elections happen, people go an vote, even if it is for the Monster Raving Looney Party or the Greens if they want to protest against the main 3 (well, looks like its 2 now as the Lib Dems are fooked) parties

Oh - on a brighter note, I did see a Political Party Broadcast by the English Democrats which was better than most comedy programs, they seem to think that "England is the home of St George". They seriously went on prime time UK TV and think he was an Englishman - made me laugh anyway

 "7k revs at the end of the rack, in a MkI - the only way to travel"
"If everything seems under control - you're not going fast enough"

Proggers

    Nissan Almera of Doom
Re: The rise of UKIP...
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 08:23:34 pm »
I didn't vote for UKIP by the way. UKIP to me seems to emulate something of the 1980s Thatcher Government.

The other real issue is - more people will vote for a baking/dancing/singing competition on Saturday night than vote for who runs our country. Drives me bloody nuts

Too right. This really grinds my gears.  :(
Up the Proles!

Wilko

    Skoda Octavia 1.6 Fsi, Skoda Rapid 1.2 TSI & Alfa GTV
Re: The rise of UKIP...
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 09:00:54 pm »
NAM , i could n't have summed it up more.

You forgot to mention the English Breakfast so beloved on the Costas washed down with Carling.

A tapas and Cana are much more refined though.

But good luck to Mr Farage, campaign enough and you might get us out of Europe, the you'll be able to spend your dole money in the pub every day. :lol:

barky

    Honda v-tec
Re: The rise of UKIP...
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 09:06:21 pm »
Came 4th in euro vote up here thanks to libdem melting away into obscurity, sole political (temporary) representative in Scotland doesn't live up here (lives in London) -- rise in popularity is due to pathetic tory/labour/libdem cabal & no realistic UK-wide alternative
The word "Tory" derives from the Middle Irish word tóraidhe; modern Irish tóraí: outlaw, robber or brigand.

Not As Map

    Giulia Veloce
Re: The rise of UKIP...
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 10:23:55 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27599401

"One third of Britons 'admit being racially prejudiced'"

"Older men in manual jobs were the most likely to say they were prejudiced, but the group recording the biggest rise was educated male professionals."

No shit - I could have told them that for free !!

 "7k revs at the end of the rack, in a MkI - the only way to travel"
"If everything seems under control - you're not going fast enough"

Craig

    1975 Jaguar XJ12C 6.0
Re: The rise of UKIP...
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 06:34:37 pm »
Only a 3rd of the electorate voted. What is it they say about it only taking good men to stand by and do nothing?

DJA

The rise of UKIP...
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 07:29:20 pm »
I happened to catch a PPB by Britain First last week... I was astonished that people still hold such dreadful views.
Goodbye, it was once fun.

panther

  • Administrator
Re: The rise of UKIP...
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 11:56:10 pm »
Protest vote, the political establishment have handled it spectacularly badly. They could have been laughing in the face of these clowns, pointing out that despite their victories in the European elections they lack control over any councils and are unlikely make any big impression during the general elections. Instead Labour are again making a hash of things by repeating the age old half hearted lessons to be learned mantra. It fails on multiple counts in that it gives Farage et al too much attention, boosting their cause and it comes over as insincere amongst many of those casting a protest vote.

Sally

    Focus
Re: The rise of UKIP...
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 05:43:15 am »
Second in Newark reducing the Tory majority by around half.
I'm hoping it is just the usual protest voting prior to a general election. It does worry me though that they could translate it into seats next year.
If God had meant me to touch my toes, he'd have put chocolates on the floor.

Proggers

    Nissan Almera of Doom
Re: The rise of UKIP...
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 07:40:31 pm »
I wouldn't bet against UKIP getting some seats in Westmister next year.

In the meantime, expect a flurry of new policies and laws being brought in by the Coalition during the next 11 months.  :lol:
Up the Proles!

Craig

    1975 Jaguar XJ12C 6.0
Re: The rise of UKIP...
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 09:10:46 pm »
It might do them good to get a couple of seats at the next election and then people would see they would be making up their views on everything else but eu and immigration as they went along

Dan

    16 Polo GTI 3dr Manual
Re: The rise of UKIP...
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 11:44:03 pm »
It makes me sad that these people could be colleagues, friends, even family, voting for UKIP.
Jeremy Clarkson "Every day we read obituaries about men who pressed on with the attack on a German machinegun nest even though their arms and legs had been blown off. Today disabled people get a statue in Trafalgar Square just because they got pregnant."

Proggers

    Nissan Almera of Doom
Re: The rise of UKIP...
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 11:36:03 am »
I think my parents voted UKIP. My theory is that UKIP voters are those who voted Tory from 1979 and into the 1980s (maybe into the 1990s too).
My parents come from tradional working class 'Labour' homes. In the 1980s my folks were caughted by Thatcher's Torys through a bribe to buy their council house.
Up the Proles!

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Which french car manufacturer emblem features a lion?:
Which Italian car company has a prancing horse as its emblem?:
What company owns MINI?: