Author Topic: New Year Forum Review/Plan  (Read 4871 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

panther

  • Administrator
New Year Forum Review/Plan
« on: January 09, 2013, 07:09:39 pm »
To follow.. Thoughts welcome in the mean time.

Craig

    1975 Jaguar XJ12C 6.0
Re: New Year Forum Review/Plan
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 08:27:16 pm »
Get MrW back

DJA

Re: New Year Forum Review/Plan
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:51:24 pm »
A bit more activity would be good - can sometimes go a whole day without a single post.  More new (genuine) members would be good too.  And CF might come back now?
Goodbye, it was once fun.

Queebs

    1980 Carlton Competition
Re: New Year Forum Review/Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 01:45:41 pm »
Having MrW back would be good but I think before we can even think about trying to get members back there needs to be a demonstrable effort to show that people aren't stepping on each others toes or deliberately posting responses they know will wind others up.  Not by any means saying that people shouldn't disagree strongly with each other but that everyone should try to do in such a way that shows a level of respect for other people and doesn't seek to deliberately provoke.
Burn everything you cannot steal.

gbn

Re: New Year Forum Review/Plan
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 11:46:45 am »
i think you guys need to accept that this is pretty much a private forum. everyone who is a member also has a busy life/other interests and the owner of the forum has limited time to dedicate to improving it. this is not a criticism. this forum is like a friday night in the pub with your mates. everyone knows what pushes others buttons and some play on it as the evening goes on and inhibitions are lowered. my advice would be to enjoy it for what it is, and when you stop enjoying it, take a break and come back. you dont have to go to the pub every friday. anyhow, all the best for the new year. i will pop in from time to time. gbn

panther

  • Administrator
Re: New Year Forum Review/Plan
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 06:36:57 pm »
^ Very well said. My only concern is (stretching the metaphor to its limit) that without the odd new friend/changes in a group most people eventually grow out of going to the pub on a Friday. Or they die. Either way, not good for the pub if they're the only patrons..

So first a round up.

This forum has been going over two years now and has had over 35,000 posts in that time. Over 2 million page views. Last year saw triple the page views for the site even if total posts was lower than in 2011.. So someone must be interested in what we say even if that someone is mostly Google and a hoard of spam bots..

I secured longer term hosting for my stuff (including this forum) last year and renewed the domain for the forum earlier this month. There's very little to stop it ticking over as is.

However there has been a marked down turn in the past month or so since the falling out. I agree with Craig and others that it would be nice to see MrW return, I will send out an email to that effect. Let bygones be bygones..

We are never going to be Pistonheads.. I wouldn't want that anyway. But I think we can continue to have a decent little community and given that and some friendships have grown from this place and its predecessors I think it has done well enough already.

My time is restricted these days quite a bit by both the job and studies. As such, any assistance is more than welcome. Be it posting interesting stuff or inviting someone you know. I have no desire to see this place cease being used. I think it's important we find some avenues for growth.

I hope you all have a good 2013 and achieve any goals you've set for yourself in the following year (especially if they're car related!)

MrW

    997 Carrera S, Mk6 Golf GTI
Re: New Year Forum Review/Plan
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:17:04 pm »
Hi folks, I'm back. Happy new year! No big speech or fuss, just needed a break. I'll be sticking to the stuff I enjoy thats cars and driving.

Craig

    1975 Jaguar XJ12C 6.0
Re: New Year Forum Review/Plan
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 04:24:47 pm »
Hi folks, I'm back. Happy new year! No big speach or fuss, just needed a break. I'll be sticking to the stuff I enjoy thats cars and driving.

I'm glad there is no big speech seeing as you can't even fooking spell it :lol:

MrW

    997 Carrera S, Mk6 Golf GTI
Re: New Year Forum Review/Plan
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 04:30:51 pm »
There you go Mr Picky. ::)

Craig

    1975 Jaguar XJ12C 6.0
Re: New Year Forum Review/Plan
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 06:40:32 pm »

Sally

    Focus
Re: New Year Forum Review/Plan
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 03:59:08 pm »
There you go Mr Picky. ::)

Considering Craig's inability to spell at times (he always blames it on his phone ;) ) he has a bit of a cheek I think! :lol:
Welcome back.
If God had meant me to touch my toes, he'd have put chocolates on the floor.

Proggers

    Nissan Almera of Doom
Re: New Year Forum Review/Plan
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 04:53:49 pm »
Welcome backm Mr.W  :)
Up the Proles!

panther

  • Administrator
Re: New Year Forum Review/Plan
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 07:03:52 pm »
Good to have you back

Proggers

    Nissan Almera of Doom
Re: New Year Forum Review/Plan
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 01:10:03 pm »
Panther, I think you can delete this thread now!   :)
Up the Proles!

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Which french car manufacturer emblem features a lion?:
Which Italian car company has a prancing horse as its emblem?:
What company owns MINI?: